✨Member Spotlight: Meet Tina Brown, Technical Product Manager and STEM advocate

• 15 December 2020
  • 2 replies
✨Member Spotlight: Meet Tina Brown, Technical Product Manager and STEM advocate

This week we’re shining a spotlight on member @Tina Brown who’s been featured in the #IETLookAtMeNow campaign 👀 👷‍♀️ 🥳 !

Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring kids to dream big, get creative and have fun whilst learning how the world around them works 🌍 .

“As a child, Tina dreamt of becoming a graphic designer and could often be found behind her Etch-A-Sketch creating new images from the lines that appeared on screen. Fast forward and Tina now uses these creative skills, challenging herself and solving complex problems in her role as Technical Product Manager for Ocado Technology where she uses cutting-edge technology and engineering to change the way the world shops.”

When you were a child, what did you dream you’d be when you grew up?

I used to tell my peers that I wanted to join the army. Later, I wanted to be a graphic designer ✍️ .

What excites you most about STEM?

Its growing popularity and promotion amongst the next generation. It’s really encouraging to see young people appreciate the importance of STEM and its endless possibilities 🙌 .

Your advice to a young person considering a career in STEM?

Go for it 🎉 ! Nothing is impossible and there’s something out there for everyone, so don’t be afraid to try new things. There’s no shame in failure either, it’s just another opportunity for learning 🧐 .

If you could have any job what would it be?

I love my job ❤️ but if I could do absolutely anything, it would be something arty and creative, possibly expanding my hobby in photography 📸 .

What’s the most unexpected thing about your job?

The number of people who want to pick my brain 🧠 or ask for my opinion.

What gives you the most job satisfaction?

Problem-solving, finding and adapting solutions, and feeling that nothing is impossible 💪 .

About the Look At Me Now campaign

#IETLookAtMeNow explores which toys and dreams our engineers had as children and how they’ve influenced what they’re doing now – sharing these great stories from around the world.

The child who loved LEGO® now designs buildings. The child with the telescope is now an astronaut. And, the child who dreamed of being a magician is now an electronics engineer, changing the world through technology. For children, toys and imagination represent a world of possibilities and invention. For engineers and scientists, the possibilities and invention never end. They are proof that our toys and dreams today impact our innovations tomorrow.

About IET

The Institution of Engineering and Technology seeks to inspire, inform and influence the global engineering community to engineer a better world. As a diverse home across engineering and technology, IET shares knowledge that helps make better sense of the world in order to solve the challenges that matter.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I cant help but laugh every time I see that photo of me, its so weird seing a young pic of me out there in the big wide world

Lets hope it makes others smile too and encourge folk to want to read more and then find out more about STEM

Userlevel 5

@Tina Brown this not only made me smile, but it made my day!! Totally gonna have to dig my Etch-A-Sketch out of my parent's basement and brush up on my skills for our pending roundtable drawing competition!

Fiix by Rockwell Automation Inc. All rights reserved.